Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Budget Friendly Spice and Seasoning Mixes!


The other day I opened up my pantry in search of something and found a packet of taco seasoning. I thought to myself "Where in the WORLD did that come from?" I have NEVER used taco seasoning for my taco meat! I pulled it out and remembered a recipe I used awhile back called for a packet of the stuff and I must have bought two of them. So it got me thinking and made me wonder how many people actually use the stuff to season their taco meat. Hence, the question I posted on Facebook. I got to doing a little research and found out that those taco seasoning packets are one of the most popular seasoning packets that are bought!! REALLY!?!?! In MY opinion (hope not to offend anyone) I DO NOT like the stuff. If I wanted mushy red meat in my tacos, I would go to Taco Bell! Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE me some Taco Bell, I just don't want my home made tacos to taste like it. However, there are so many of you who DO love the stuff and I just wondered, do you know how EASY and CHEAP it is to make? Stop spending $1+ on pre made packets and make your own!! I bet you have all the ingredients in your cabinet! And I'm not just talking about taco seasoning. You can make so many spice blends that are EXACTLY the same as what you find in the store for a FRACTION of the cost!! Plus, you don't have to worry about all the extra salt, preservatives or mystery ingredients that usually just call themselves "spice". Hmmm... On that note, here is a recipe for some home made taco seasoning that is JUST like the store bought stuff!

Taco Seasoning
Ingredients

1 tbs chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp course salt

Mix together then add to beef with about 1/4 cup of water. This makes enough to season 1 lb

Here is a link that has a TON of home made spice recipes! Not only are they super easy to make but they can also make great gifts! Everyone needs spices, right? You can even make them cute!

Another super easy home made concoction I wanted to share with you is Hot Cocoa mix. We go through the stuff like crazy in the winter at our house! We just made a big container of it the other night and it sits on our counter for easy access!

Hot Cocoa

25 oz powdered milk
11 oz powdered creamer (They have so many flavors but I use plain then add the flavored creamers laters)
16 oz Nesquick
1 cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp salt

Mix it all together and store in an airtight container. Use 1/4 cup of mix for a cup of hot cocoa! ENJOY!

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Im so guilty of buying the taco seasoning because it is fast but im actually not crazy about the taste haha. Im going to make this for sure and save some money! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when people ask, "how to you make your taco meat so good?" and I reply, "I don't use taco seasoning!!" I may have offended a couple people saying that but it is the truth!!! And I want some hot chocolate right now, it is stinkin cold!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much for the info, I hate using packaged crap, I just never knew where to find recipes to make my own, so thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete