Thursday, June 6, 2013

What's Cooking Wednesday!! (On Thursday...)

I have gotten so many different emails asking things like "what is a typical dinner you make?" or what is something your Family eats often?" I have decided to have a new segment called "What's Cooking Wednesday" Where I will share with you recipes and pics of a meal we ate in our home that week! Sometimes they will be new things we have tried and sometimes they will be Family Favorites!
Most of you know that my Family recently made a cross country move. That last week in our old house, the week we spent on the road, and our first few nights here we ate out EVERY night. Literally. GROSS. Some people love eating out because it's easy and convenient, but it can get SO expensive and depending on what you are eating, SO bad for you!
One of Troop's favorite places to eat at is Panda Express. You know you love it too. And what do you order when you go there? The Orange Chicken. I knew it. After all of the eating out that we had to do, I thought it would be fun to find healthier versions/make at home versions of our favorite eat out food. This week we did Chinese. Both of the chicken recipes I found on Pinterest and are made in the crockpot. The Fried Rice is my own, very simple recipe. Please excuse my cell phone quality pictures. By the time dinner was ready I was starved and too lazy to run grab my camera! :) Click on the links for recipes!


Bourbon Chicken

I loved this! It ended up being my fave. You can even add a few sesame seeds to make it more traditional!




Orange Chicken
I found my orange chicken to have a bitter aftertaste. I think the juice may have overcooked. I would suggest mixing all of the ingredients except the OJ, and add that in the last hour. That should eliminate any bitter flavor.




Fried Rice

I use long grain brown rice and follow the package instructions. You will also need:
2 Tblsp Olive Oil
1-2 cups frozen Peas & Carrots
2 eggs
1/4 Soy or Teriyaki Sauce

Cook the rice as instructed. Add Olive oil and peas & carrots to a skillet and cook for 3 mins, stirring constantly. Add the rice. Whip the two eggs together and add to the mixture. Sautee' until the eggs are fully cooked.




With the exception of the bitter orange flavor, the overall turnout was great! Most importantly Troop ate his ALL GONE!!

1 comment:

  1. LOL!! I think I am the only one who HATES orange chicken! I love just about everything else haha!! Am I weird?

    ReplyDelete